Permissions

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Thu Oct 12 23:03:45 UTC 2006

Johan Boshoff wrote:
> Hi all,
>  I wanted to change a folders permissions, owner and
> group within the /var folder and by accident (not concentrating...) I
> changed the whole /var folder's permissions to 0777 and the owner as
> root and the group root. And I did it recursively!  Now everything is a
> mess and some of my programs like sendmail, clamav spamass-milter, etc
> does not want to work.

I believe rpm gives errors when files are the wrong permission, owners
which might help you out with figuring out who needs to own the
files/directory. You might do rpm -qaV and output the results to a test
file so you can deal with the results and change permission/owners.

To me, it sounds pretty hopeless to do this, but it might be possible to
do.

Jim

--
The power to destroy a planet is insignificant when compared to the power of
the Force.