Default Route question when there are two nic cards

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Thu Oct 12 23:20:22 UTC 2006

John Austin <ja at jaa.org.uk> wrote:

>Hi Dave
>
>I agree with everything you say !!!!!!!
>I am just not convinced that a GATEWAY statement in
>ifcfg-eth1
>is necessary to achieve the required route table.
>
>Cheers
>John

I vaguely remember that, at some point, not specifying a gateway didn't
work.  This memory could be from as far back as Red Hat 5 (@1998) so
it's entirely possible that things have changed since then.  It could be
that the network setup logic has gotten smarter and recognizes that a
default gateway is already defined or the specified gateway is local.
Also, the suggested solution of using a GATEWAY directive in
/etc/sysconfig/network may now be the preferred solution for this type
of setup.

Unfortunately, testing to see what happens knocks me off the air.  If I
get a chance, I'll try removing the GATEWAY setting from ifcfg-eth1 and
bounce the network.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce