Re: Help with tcpdump query

From: "T. Horsnell" <tsh mrc-lmb cam ac uk>

>Hi

Could someone please point out to me where I'm going wrong with the following:

tcpdump -i eth0  not port 22 and not port 53 not ip proto icmp

According to my man pages, you need to escape the icmp keyword thus (for C-shell)

tcpdump -i eth0  not port 22 and not port 53 not ip proto \\icmp

It works for me.

To avoid the unresolvable ip addr, either aviod DSN lookups altogether
with -n , or include 'and not host xxx' where xxx is the ip address
you want to skip:

Yeah, avoiding Deep Space network lookups is important. Ping times
out there are so long that it really makes transactions slow. I'd
stick with Domain Name Service, instead.

{^_-}