fc5 - kino-8.0 Q?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Oct 13 18:56:47 UTC 2006

Gene Heskett wrote:

Yes, I know, its considered "poor form" to answer ones own posts, but no
one else has, and I have a wee bit more data, and a more specific
question, see the PS: at the bottom.  As I think it may be udev related,
gregkh at suse.de added to Cc: line.

> Greetings all;
>
> I got curious because I'm needing to get a wedding vcd made, installed
> kino and as much of the support stuff as I could remember for importing
> from a Sony TRM-460 digital hi-8 movie camera.  So far, so good, I'm
> watching video out of the camera in real time on the kino capture screen
>
> I'm still missing the control functionality that works over the firewire
> cable, so I cannot start/stop/pause etc the camera. Kino, in its
> preferences, cannot find the controlling device as none are shown in the
> multiselector bar for that function.  This did work on my FC2 box 18
> months ago with kino-7.5.
>
> Does anyone recall the name of that utility?  ISTR it had some sort of
> an ieee number in its filename, but I don't recognize it in the smart
> display.

PS:  I believe this controling utility to be libavc1394, which is
installed.  Version libavc1394-0.5.1-2.2.

That leaves udev, as in its not automaticly creating the device, and
whose name I haven't the foggiest.

Is there a way to "force" the creation of the camera's control device by
udev?

--
Cheers, Gene