initrd

Hi all,

I've installed fedora onto everything I could get my hands on, but one of the recurring problems has been building custom initrds for each type of boot device. Does anybody know if it is possible to build a kernel with enough of the drivers built-in that the initrd is not required or does Fedora require it to boot?

Thanks