Re: Intel(r) Core?2 Duo Processors"

On Sat, 2006-10-14 at 22:53 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 14/10/06, Chong Yu Meng <chongym cymulacrum net> wrote:
> > Hi Dotan,
> >
> > Can you give us a listing of the services running on your machine? To do
> > that, just execute as root:
> >
> > chkconfig --list
> >
> > It's going to be a very long list, but it may help us (well, at least
> > me) to help you.
>
> Thanks, Pascal. But I don't seem to have chkconfig, nor is it in the repos:

Hi Dotan,

As other people have already said, chkconfig is in /sbin. As a normal
user, you sometimes need to provide the full path to the script or
program in order to run it.

If you suspect that a particular program or file is on your system but
you do not know where to find it, there are several ways provided by
Fedora to help you search for it. For example:

1. My favorite:the "locate" command. You will need to run "updatedb" as
root regularly, so that your filesystem maintains updated indexes. Then
to find chkconfig, for example, just do this:

[chongym jadeblue ~]$ locate chkconfig
/sbin/chkconfig
/usr/share/locale/ar/LC_MESSAGES/chkconfig.mo
/usr/share/locale/be/LC_MESSAGES/chkconfig.mo
/usr/share/locale/bg/LC_MESSAGES/chkconfig.mo
/usr/share/locale/bn/LC_MESSAGES/chkconfig.mo
/usr/share/locale/bn_IN/LC_MESSAGES/chkconfig.mo

Sometimes it spits out a lot more information than you expect ...

2. If it is a command, such as "java", you can use "which":
[chongym jadeblue ~]$ which java
/opt/ibm/java2-i386-50/bin/java

3. If you are using UNIX instead of Linux, the "find" command works as
well. In the example below I am searching for a file called SS7-SMS.pdf
and specifying the base of the search as my own home
directory /home/chongym
[chongym jadeblue ~]$ find /home/chongym -name SS7-SMS.pdf
/home/chongym/SS7-SMS.pdf

There is also an application called beagle that can do indexing and
searches for you, but I don't use it and I don't know how to use it. I'm
old fashioned that way ...

HTH

--
Pascal Chong
email:  chongym cymulacrum net

"La science ne connaît pas de frontière parce que la connaissance
appartient à l’humanité. et que c’est la flamme qui illumine le monde."

-- Louis Pasteur