Firefox - How to play wmv files?

Rick Bilonick rab at nauticom.net
Sun Oct 15 04:37:01 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-10-14 at 23:46 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-10-15 at 12:52 +1000, Res wrote:
> > On Sat, 14 Oct 2006, Tim wrote:
> >
> > > You could try the mplayer-plugin package from Livna.  I've never tried
> > > it, but it sounds the likely solution.
> >
> > I use the tarball version, it works a treat.
> http://membres.lycos.fr/sethnakht/
>
> This works great for me. Best darn Firefox extension in existance, IMHO!
> Ric

I was able to install the mplayerplug-in and I installed a bunch of
codecs on my Dell Inspiron 2200 notebook running FC4. I can now
view .wmv on cnn.com, audio files on npr.org without any problems (also
from a terminal shell) thanks to the help on this list.

I did the same installs on my AMD 64-bit Athlon system running FC5 but
only the audio plays on the video clips on cnn.com. Is it possible to
view .wmv videos on a 64-bit system?

Rick B.