Problem using USB infrared adaptor on Fedora 5

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 04:19:44 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-10-15 at 09:16 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Jack wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I have an usb infrared adaptor that works on ms
> > windows without any problems. On fedora 5, I plugged
> > the adaptor in. Then typed "ifconfig -a" but could not
> > find the "irda0" interface. Did I miss any steps?
> > Thank you.
> >
> > Jack
> >
> Did you check to see if the adapter was supported in Linux? Not all
> USB Ir adapters are supported. It depends on the chip set used.

Don't you have to enable IR by editing the "services" menu?? I saw that
one in there while pounding on something else. Under KDE you go to
system / services to bring up the services menu-GUI and scroll down to
irda, check the box and start the dameon. If there are any errors the
dialog box will tell you. Ric

...the Sin of Ignorance, and
...the Sin of Stupidity.

Linux user# 44256