/boot partition mislabeled on last reinstall - need advice on how to fix

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Mon Oct 16 06:44:54 UTC 2006

I did a fresh install of FC5 about three weeks ago.
I have three drives in this machine, all SATA, which I set up
under the custom partitioning option:

sda is 200GB
It was supposed to be:
500 MB sda1 formatted as ext2 and mounted as  /boot
2 GB sda2 formatted as swap
the rest formatted as ext 3 and mounted as  /

sdb is 300 GB
sdb1 is formatted as ext3, takes up the whole drive, and is
mounted as  /home

sdc is 500 GB
formatted as ext3 and is mounted as /home/cj/archive

I just realized this is not what happened.
sda1 got labelled as /boot1 and is not mounted
/boot is therefore mounted under / which is on sda3

I had some strange log messages for awhile reporting smart errors
on sda - after running various diagnostics on it, I ended up
running Spinrite on that drive for 18 hours, which found
nothing - since then, the log errors have not reappeared

In the  course of trouble shooting those log reports, I discovered
this issue with sda1 being mislabeled.
I'm pretty careful when partitioning, and I check and recheck
things - I can't imagine I let a typo like that get past me,
though anything is possible.

So, my first question is, can anyone think of any thing that could
have caused that to happen besides a typo?

My second question is about strategy. I'd like to return /boot to
sda1 - any suggestions on how to go about that would be
appreciated. This whole area of how file systems get mounted has
been changing over the past 6-12 months, and I'm having a hard
time getting my brain wrapped around the best way to go about
this.

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA