/boot partition mislabeled on last reinstall - need advice on how to fix

Joachim Backes joachim.backes at rhrk.uni-kl.de
Mon Oct 16 06:58:44 UTC 2006

Claude Jones wrote:
> I did a fresh install of FC5 about three weeks ago.
> I have three drives in this machine, all SATA, which I set up
> under the custom partitioning option:
>
> sda is 200GB
> It was supposed to be:
> 500 MB sda1 formatted as ext2 and mounted as  /boot
> 2 GB sda2 formatted as swap
> the rest formatted as ext 3 and mounted as  /
>
> sdb is 300 GB
> sdb1 is formatted as ext3, takes up the whole drive, and is
> mounted as  /home
>
> sdc is 500 GB
> formatted as ext3 and is mounted as /home/cj/archive
>
> I just realized this is not what happened.
> sda1 got labelled as /boot1 and is not mounted
> /boot is therefore mounted under / which is on sda3
>
> I had some strange log messages for awhile reporting smart errors
> on sda - after running various diagnostics on it, I ended up
> running Spinrite on that drive for 18 hours, which found
> nothing - since then, the log errors have not reappeared
>
> In the  course of trouble shooting those log reports, I discovered
> this issue with sda1 being mislabeled.
> I'm pretty careful when partitioning, and I check and recheck
> things - I can't imagine I let a typo like that get past me,
> though anything is possible.
>
> So, my first question is, can anyone think of any thing that could
> have caused that to happen besides a typo?
>
> My second question is about strategy. I'd like to return /boot to
> sda1 - any suggestions on how to go about that would be
> appreciated.

Reboot with rescue disk or Knoppix, relable the desired partitions for example with tune2fs, and
modify your /etc/fstab before rebooting into your old system. Is this what you meant?

This whole area of how file systems get mounted has

--
Joachim Backes <joachim.backes at rhrk.uni-kl.de>
University of Kaiserslautern,Computer Center [RHRK],