Intel(r) Core?2 Duo Processors"

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 11:27:51 UTC 2006

On 15/10/06, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 15/10/06, James Wilkinson <fedora at aprilcottage.co.uk> wrote:
> > Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > > dotancohen at ubuntu:~$ grep Driver /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> > >        Driver          "kbd"
> > >        Driver          "mouse"
> > >  Driver        "wacom"
> > >  Driver        "wacom"
> > >  Driver        "wacom"
> > >        Driver          "sis"
> > >
> > > The sis entry is the onboard ethernet, I think. I didn't realise that
> > > it was still enabled in bios.
> >
> > No, in this case "sis" will be your SiS onboard graphics. They're not
> > great, but adequate for 2D.
>
> Does me firefox and kate just fine! I need no more.

<snip>

> Just xscreensaver rotating random pictures out of a directory. Nothing
> 3d on this box.

Interestingly I believe I can see a speed difference using
www.gmap-pedometer.com between the nv and nvidia
drivers with my (now ancient) GeForce3.  The nv drivers
seem to be inredibly slow, so there may not be any 3D
going on, but it seems the hardware and drivers can still
matter for modern 2D apps.

--
imalone