Re: [FC6] i386 or x86_64?

On Mon, 2006-10-16 at 13:31 +0100, James Wilkinson wrote:
> Gilboa Davara wrote:
> > and 64bit P4/Xeon will suck badly in 64bit mode.
>
> Worse than in 32 bit mode? Interesting. Do you have any figures to back
> that up?
>
> Thanks,
>
> James.

The P4/Netburst family is not known for being a very efficient core to
begin with - adding the EM64T (or as I like to call it, iAMD64) hack to
the Prescott (PresHot) and the Nocona cores didn't really improve things
either.

I assume that finding benchmarks on the Internet about P4 vs AMD64 in
64bit shouldn't be too hard to find.
Either way, I tested my own software on a number of cores ranging from
Opterons, P4 Xeons, Woodcrest Xeons (Core2), and the only CPU to show a
massive performance drop was the P4.

Never the less, as I said, YMMV.

- Gilboa