problem with new fglrx driver

I just did a yum update. Among the updates were the following:

xorg-x11-drv-fglrx-8.29.6-1.lvn5
kmod-fglrx-8.29.6-1.2.6.18_1.2200.fc5
kernel-devel-2.6.18-1.2200.fc5

When I rebooted, when X was started, my monitor went blank except for
the message "HV Frequency Overrange".

I tried rebooting into the previous kernel (2.6.17-1.2187) and had the
same problem.

I booted into single user mode and disabled the ATI driver
(ati-fglrx-config-display disable), and it now works.

Anyone else had problems with the new ATI drivers? Suggestions on what
to check?