Another slip in the FC6 schedule

Jose Celestino japc at co.sapo.pt
Tue Oct 17 22:16:51 UTC 2006

Words by Alfredo Ferrari [Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 12:05:14AM +0200]:
> Seriously, I believe this is a big issue. Let me summarize:
>
> a) there was a kernel update for FC5
> b) this kernel has a known bug which could results in corrupting
>    ext3 filesystems with 1k block size under heavy load
> c) ... nevertheless it has been pushed out with no special warning
> d) pratically all /boot partitions are ext3 1k (anaconda generated)
> e) many partitions on old machine upgraded from previous versions are
>    ext3 1k as well
> f) experienced users could have much bigger partitions manually
>    generated with 1k block size for their own fun/reasons/optimization (I
>    personally have counted  already 400 GBytes of 1k, ext3, partitions
>    just on my personal laptop, desktop and associated backup disks
>    excluding /boot ones). In my case, most of the 1k partitions are such
>    because they are subject to heavy loads with many small files
>
> What was the rationale for releasing an official kernel update under such
> dangerous conditions? Just "anaconda doesn't generate 1k partitions (not true BTW)"? I still believe Linux is not (yet) Windows

Thank god no. But the growing user base is more and more windows like.

Thankfuly many of us know that you shouldn't push every and all upgrade to
production servers as soon as it comes. And also thankfuly there are
those who do just that.

--
Jose Celestino | http://japc.uncovering.org/files/japc-pgpkey.asc