DG965 and FC5 NO GO - How about 945 chipset?

Jim Garrison jhg at jhmg.net
Wed Oct 18 05:50:14 UTC 2006

Dave Jones wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 17, 2006 at 08:10:16PM -0500, Jim Garrison wrote:
>  > This appears to be a non-working combination due to the
>  > newness of the 965 chipset.  I'm returning my DB965WH to
>  > NewEgg.com to buy something more compatible.
>  >
>  > Does anybody know if the 945 chipset has any problems
>  > with FC5?
>
> There are no details here as to what exactly doesn't work.
> This makes it challenging to say the least to diagnose.

I filed a tech support request with Intel and actually got
help that worked.  Here's what I had to do:

1) Set SATA to AHCI mode in the BIOS

2) Boot the install disk with

     linux all-generic-ide pci=nommconf

3) Build and install the most recent e1000 driver
   from Intel's website -- the one included in FC5
   apparently does not work with the ethernet chip
   on this motherboard.

So far it looks like I have a stable system.

--
Jim Garrison (jhg at acm.org)
PGP Keys at http://www.jhmg.net RSA 0x04B73B7F DH 0x70738D88