read/write access for non-root user on usb drive

babar haq babarhaq at email.com
Wed Oct 18 06:16:38 UTC 2006

Hi all

I am using Fedora Core 5 with default kernel and packages. I am trying to mount an external usb drive in such a way that all non-root users can mount it and have read/write access to it. I am mounting with the options users,rw and the mount point has read/write access for all. The moment I mount the drive the directorie's (mount point's) "ls -l" shows the "w" for group and others as missing ie
drwxr-xr-x .By the way the system is not automatically mounting it, I have do it with the mount command.

Found another guy having the same problem here http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/redhat-fedora-linux-help/65559-mounting-external-usb-hard-drive.html
He sorted it out by changing the owner of the mount point to operator and group to users. Wonder if that would work for me.

Another weird thing is on another FC5 system my usb memory stick was mounted automatically in a non root environment and gave also gave read/write access to it. The only difference I can think of is that this system was fully updated running the latest kernel 2.6.17.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Babar Haq

--