DG965 and FC5 NO GO - How about 945 chipset?

Reg Clemens reg at dwf.com
Wed Oct 18 08:13:06 UTC 2006

> Dave Jones wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 17, 2006 at 08:10:16PM -0500, Jim Garrison wrote:
> >  > This appears to be a non-working combination due to the
> >  > newness of the 965 chipset.  I'm returning my DB965WH to
> >  > NewEgg.com to buy something more compatible.
> >  >
> >  > Does anybody know if the 945 chipset has any problems
> >  > with FC5?
> >
> > There are no details here as to what exactly doesn't work.
> > This makes it challenging to say the least to diagnose.
>
> I filed a tech support request with Intel and actually got
> help that worked.  Here's what I had to do:
>
> 1) Set SATA to AHCI mode in the BIOS
>
> 2) Boot the install disk with
>
>      linux all-generic-ide pci=nommconf
>
> 3) Build and install the most recent e1000 driver
>    from Intel's website -- the one included in FC5
>    apparently does not work with the ethernet chip
>    on this motherboard.
>
> So far it looks like I have a stable system.
>
> --

Humm.
The SATA worked for me, and I added a Ethernet card and a Video Card.
With this combination, the D945 wont even boot with 2.5.18.
(see bugzilla #6209)
It booted, but the ethernet card didnt work for 2.6.12-2.6.16 (dont know about
17)
and I have been forced to use a 2.6.11 kernel to get both the video and the
ethernet and to work.

Its been about a year, and there have been no forward steps in getting this
working.  I keep HOPING that they will fix whatever they broke 2.6.11->12,
but if I were a realist I would go back to something like D875PBZ which I
know works. (tho I would have to get a different video card).

Can I ask WHAT video card you are using???

--
                                        Reg.Clemens
                                        reg at dwf.com