Grub boot problem ofter FC4 -> FC5 upgrade

Marnix Fedora at Harssema.com
Wed Oct 18 10:10:34 UTC 2006

Hi,

After an unsuccesfull FC4 -> FC5 upgrade I find myself in the
following situation:

My server has two IDE disks hda and hdc. When it boots I see "GRUB"
alone on the screen and then it stops. I think that means that grub is
not able to find stage1_5 or stage2 loader. Grub used to be installed
(FC4) on a seperate /boot partition which was a metadevice md3
mirrored on two devices: hda1 and hdc1. When I boot from rescue CD and
I and try to reïnstall grub on hda I get an error message:

# grub --no-floppy
grub> find /grub/stage1
 (hd0,0)
 (hd1,0)

grub> root (hd0,0)
 Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0xfd

grub> setup (hd0)
 Checking if "/boot/grub/stage1" exists... no
 Checking if "/grub/stage1" exists... yes
 Checking if "/grub/stage2" exists... yes
 Checking if "/grub/e2fs_stage1_5"" exists... yes
 Running "embed /grub/e2fs_stage1_5 (hd0)"... 15 sectors are embedded. succeeded
 Runing "install /grub/stage1 (hd0) (hd0)1+15 p (hd0,0)/grub/stage2
/grub/grub.conf"... failed

Error 22: No such partition

I tried swapping the 2 disks, turning hda into hdc and vice versa, but
then the word "GRUB" does not even appear on the screen, so probably
hdc does not have an MBR at all.

I want to be very carefull with hdc because I know it still contains
all filesystems with all data, because these are mounted as
metadevices under /mnt/sysimage when running from rescue CD.

What should I do next?

Cheers,
Marnix