bittorrent, azureus, ports and routers

Michael Wiktowy michael.wiktowy at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 15:55:08 UTC 2006

On 10/18/06, Thufir <hawat.thufir at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 09:24:58 -0800, Kam Leo wrote:
> [...]
> > If Bittorrent can get through the router then Azureus can. Just
> > configure Azureus to use the same port, e.g. 6881.
>
> The above reasoning holds for me, that if bittorrent gets throught the
> router then azureus should also get through the router...?
>
> Azureus reports:
>
> Testing port 6881 ... NAT Error

I am not entirely sure if the standard bittorrent application even does the
NAT tests that Azureus does so it may be a case of Azureus giving you more
info. In the end, both will run behind a NAT router and they will download
but your download rate will suffer in most cases since a lot of bittorrent
clients that cannot connect to your client directly will decrease their
upload rate to you. That is a consequence of not being able to do port
forwarding on a router that you don't control.

/Mike