Re: bittorrent, azureus, ports and routers

On 18/10/06, Michael Wiktowy <michael wiktowy gmail com> wrote:
On 10/18/06, Thufir <hawat thufir gmail com> wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 09:24:58 -0800, Kam Leo wrote:
> [...]
> > If Bittorrent can get through the router then Azureus can. Just
> > configure Azureus to use the same port, e.g. 6881.
>
> The above reasoning holds for me, that if bittorrent gets throught the
> router then azureus should also get through the router...?
>
> Azureus reports:
>
> Testing port 6881 ... NAT Error

I am not entirely sure if the standard bittorrent application even does the
NAT tests that Azureus does so it may be a case of Azureus giving you more
info. In the end, both will run behind a NAT router and they will download
but your download rate will suffer in most cases since a lot of bittorrent
clients that cannot connect to your client directly will decrease their
upload rate to you. That is a consequence of not being able to do port
forwarding on a router that you don't control.

I have seen Azureus's port test fail, even when port forwarding is
set up and remote connections can be established.  The thing
to do is look at torrent health; if they are always yellow, never
green, then forwarding isn't working. If the ports are set up the
same way for bittorrent and Azureus they will both have the
same problem as Michael says.

In general I found Azureus worked better (mainly that connections
were faster) when running on Sun Java.
<http://www.city-fan.org/tips/JpackageJava> is probably the best
guide to getting that working on FC4/5.

--