FC4 to FC5 upgrade slow

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Wed Oct 18 19:05:54 UTC 2006

Mark Haney wrote:

>>> This box is a dual Opteron box with 4GB RAM.  Should it be that slow?

>> It sounds to me like it is using swap, no matter what the RAM on the

> Well, when I looked at it before, it wasn't swapping out, I still had
> about 1GB RAM free.  However, all the running processes (anaconda, etc)
> from the installation were 'Sleeping'.  I wasn't seeing much disk
> activity, or activity to the CD ROM drive.

Well usually the processes that would rather be doing something else are
blocked on IO if they are blocked at all.  On top this would show up on
top as a lot on CPU on "system" and no idle CPU.  Maybe there is some
problem with the install kernel vs your board?  Try

dmesg

and see if there is some spew of something going on, maybe with your
HDD.  Also I guess check your

cat /proc/cpuinfo

and also see if anything on

cat /proc/interrupts

is cranking up at a crazy rate.  Another trick is to do

ps -Af

and look at the last few processes, usually that list is in order of
spawning, so you can see if a scriptlet is running something that is
making it stick.

-Andy