Re: Looking for a bookmark manager/server

On 10/19/06, Steve Searle <steve stevesearle com> wrote:
Around 03:06pm on Thursday, October 19, 2006 (UK time), Kirk Lowery scrawled:

> On 10/19/06, Steve Searle <steve stevesearle com> wrote:
> >
> >Around 02:52pm on Thursday, October 19, 2006 (UK time), Kirk Lowery
> >scrawled:
> >
> >> What are folks using these days?
> >
> >Softlinked Firefox bookmarks file.
> >

> Thanks for the response. A little more info, please. Is your webserver on
> the same machine as your desktop? Or, like my setup, is the webserver on
> different hardware from your desktop?

Kirk,

Reading your other email about you requirement I think this may not be
what you want.  On all my workstations I mount a "common" directory from
a file server on the network, and then create a softlink for the Firefox
bookmarks file on each workstation I use.

See the bottom of this section:
http://www.stevesearle.com/tech/fed.core5.ws.html#customise

You do need to be careful when updating the bookmarks file from two
simultaneous Firefox sessions.

So you use nfs to cross machines. That answers the one question I had.

I'm not that familiar with Firefox's bookmark feature, since I have rarely used it. :-)  But it looks fairly "primitive" feature-wise in comparision to the webapps I've mentioned. But I must admit it's a slick solution to most folk's needs.

Kirk