Looking for a bookmark manager/server

Kirk Lowery empirical.humanist at gmail.com
Thu Oct 19 17:09:49 UTC 2006

On 10/19/06, Michel Di Croci <michel.dicroci at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2006/10/19, Kirk Lowery <empirical.humanist at gmail.com>:

> > > actively
> > > Manager

> > > your

> > > I use onlinebookmarkmanager.com and am pretty happy with it.
> >

> > Ah, yes. I should have mentioned one of my requirements: I need to have
> > control over the server. So I need server *software* to run on my own
> > machine...
> >
> > Kirk
> > --
>

> A do it yourself could be made. It would only require a DB and a simple
> PHP script. It would requires a development of about 30 hours from a small
> evaluation on my side and you will be able to put the features you want and
> the search engine you need. Also you could export it easily to different
> format that would allow you to import it in Firefox or Epiphany or whatever
> you use. There is so much of possibilities from a development side.
>
> You can start with the already done development of BookMark4u.

Yes, this may be the best solution. I'm not dissatisfied with Bookmark4u. So
I don't need to reimplement it; I don't need (at this point) new features.
So it seems (in the absence of the existence of an actively maintained
bookmarker server) the best solution will be to port it to PHP5. I can do
that. I was just hoping I didn't have to spend the time learning PHP, and
more, the differences between 4 & 5. I'm an academic programmer (meaning I
learn what I need to accomplish my tasks) and am more comfortable with
python, ruby and the like and don't normally use PHP. Oh, well. Another item
for my CV... ;-)

Thanks for the suggestion.

Kirk