Set up mirror after install?

James Pifer jep at obrien-pifer.com
Thu Oct 19 20:37:35 UTC 2006

> Are there options in your BIOS that may be preventing one of these boot
> option from working?
>
> Are you going to use the mirror for your boot partions as well?
>
> I have a similar install.  I have four SATA drives mirrored and LVM'd.
> I have an IDE drive for the OS.   I would suggest you setup the two
> drives as depreciated raid and then install the LVM.  Then when you have
> the system installed, then add the extra drives and rebuild the
> particular drive arrays.  This way you can setup the LVM before the
> install and you don't have to grow the partition.
>
> Make sure that the RAID drives are on split between controllers.

BIOS saw all the bootable devices fine, both in the BIOS settings and if
I chose F8 to select a device. Just wouldn't boot off them.

I ran through the install once and selected RAID5 with the four drives.
Performance on that was pitiful, but that of course without any tuning.
I'm not sure tuning would have helped.

Now I'm just doing a poor man's mirror. I'm giving up disk space this
way compared to RAID5, but works for me. I set up two of the drives in
an LVM and installed the OS here. I set up the second two drives in
another LVM and I'm mounting that as /backup. I'll just do an rsync at
night of the data to the backup LVM.

Now I'm assuming here that if I lose one of the first two drives that I
will be able to access the second LVM somehow to get to the backed up
data. PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong on that!

Thanks,
James