Problems with iPod

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Fri Oct 20 16:26:14 UTC 2006

Ed Smits wrote:
> I haven't topuched the nano's firmware in a long time, so that
> probably isn't the problem. I unistalled gtkpod and libgpod, which
> alos uninstalled amerok, and downloaded the latest tar.gz for both
> from CVS.

OK, that rules out one possible source of errors.

> Started with libgpod, ran ./configure, errored out with:
>
> checking for LIBGPOD... configure: error: Package requirements
> (glib-2.0>= 2.4.0 gobject-2.0) were not met:
> No package 'glib-2.0' found
> No package 'gobject-2.0' found
> Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
> installed software in a non-standard prefix.
> Alternatively, you may set the environment variables LIBGPOD_CFLAGS
> and LIBGPOD_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
> See the pkg-config man page for more details.
>
> I'm running glib-1.2.10-18.2.2, so I guess I need to update that, who
> knows what that will break. I have no glib at all, so will have to
> track that down as well...

To save you much time, you can use yum-builddep to get most of the
build dependencies in place, e.g. yum-builddep libgpod should install
the required devel files.  There are some new ones that aren't
included in the current libgpod spec file, so those need to be pulled
in manually.  I've just started working on an updated spec file for
libgpod that I plan to submit to bugzilla as an enhancement request...
Anyway, here are the build requirements that I have:

BuildRequires: glib2-devel
BuildRequires: gettext
BuildRequires: gtk2-devel
BuildRequires: gtk-doc
BuildRequires: pkgconfig
BuildRequires: python-devel
BuildRequires: swig

If you don't have any need to build the python bindings, you can
eliminate python-devel and swig from that list.  If you don't need or
want the developer API docs, you can lose gtk-doc as well.  So just

    yum install glib2-devel gettext gtk2-devel pkgconfig

Ought to get you the stuff you need.  Post back if configure still
fails then.  If you're using ./configure; make; sudo make install,
your stuff will end up in /usr/local so you'll need to add that to
/etc/ld.so.conf (or to a file in /etc/ld.so.conf.d) before you build
other software that needs libgpod.  Something like this ought to do:

    echo /usr/local/lib> /etc/ld.so.conf.d/local.conf
    /sbin/ldconfig

When you get to gtkpod, you can probably use yum-builddep gtkpod to
get the dependencies for that.  I don't think they've changed much
from what the livna build has.

I'll post the BZ# of the RFE for a newer libgpod when I get it done,
that will have a specfile patch that should build on FC5 easily if you
want to create a nice rpm.  Doing that will let your system know that
libgpod is available and you could just rebuild amarok by downloading
the source rpm, grab the build deps using yum-builddep, and run
rpmbuild --rebuild /path/to/amarok*.src.rpm.

- --
I was brought up to believe that the only thing worth doing was to add
to the sum of accurate information in the world.
    -- Margaret Mead