Disable internal PC speaker?

Joe Smith jes at martnet.com
Fri Oct 20 19:41:37 UTC 2006

Stephen Croll wrote:
> This solution works, but appears to only apply to the currently
> running gnome session.  It doesn't work for virtual terminals nor for
> KDE sessions.

I haven't tried this for KDE, but I expect it will work for all bash
sessions, no matter where they run:

> head -2 /etc/inputrc
> # do not bell on tab-completion
> #set bell-style none

Just uncomment the second line.

That's system-wide. For one user, you can just login as the user and do

 > $ cat >>.inputrc
 > set bell-style none
 > (C-d)

I hear ya with wanting to 'terminate with extreme prejudice', but I
think it's not necessarily wise to completely kill the functionality.
Sometimes an audible alert can be useful.

<Joe