fstab and LABEL=

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sat Oct 21 05:53:31 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-10-20 at 11:07 -0400, Mark Haney wrote:
> I'm a little confused about the LABEL= option in /etc/fstab.  Let's say
> I have this line in my fstab:
>
> LABEL=/home/archiv      /home/archive3          xfs     defaults        1 2
>
> And I want to change the mountpoint of this to /archive instead of
> /home/archive3.  Will I need to (or should I) edit the LABEL= to reflect
> the changes?  Or can I just use the /dev/ instead?

You can just use the /dev/hda style of fstab lines, instead.  In that
case, it doesn't matter what the drives are actually labelled as.

The label and the mount point don't have to be related.  The label could
well have been seagate2 with that mountpoint, it would have worked.

You can also relabel partitions, just remember to also change the fstab
to suit, before rebooting (or before re-reading the available drives in
some other manner).

--
(Currently running FC4, but testing FC5, if that's important.)

I read messages from the public lists.