skype

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 03:28:04 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-08-02 at 18:20 +0530, François Patte wrote:

> >> In that case, it doesn't work! What is your /etc/asound.conf ?
> >

> > Do you have set ALSA in the audio option ini skype?
>
> in tools-->options-->sound-devices ALSA (the other option is OSS)
>
> in xmms output plugin is ALSA 1.2.10 (libALSA.so)
>         device audio is hw 0,0 (options are : default or hw 0,4 this
> last not working)
>
> And I have still the same message: dmix: unable to open slave.
>

> > # more /etc/asound.conf
> >

> > #Generated by system-config-soundcard, do not edit by hand
> > #SWCONF
> > #DEV 0
> > defaults.pcm.card 0
> > defaults.pcm.device 0
> > defaults.ctl.card 0
>
> Mine is:
> # Generated by system-config-soundcard, do not edit by hand
> defaults.pcm.card 0
> defaults.pcm.card 0
>
> But I have another PC with same /etc/asound.conf as yours, and I'm
> unable to get xmms and skype at the same time....
François,

I just found this tonight... as I was looking back over old posts on
Skype.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/kasound/

Damn thing 'made' easy enough from the tarball... this is version 0.5 so
it might be a little risky!! But it generates that asound.conf file
after you run through a rather large gui-picklist of a lot of options.
As long as it doesn't BLOW THINGS UP, it looks like a contender. Debian
and Suse have 'also-tools-gui', and we don't, it seems. <sigh> kasound
just might be helpful, YMMV, Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
http://www.wayward4now.net