OT: labelling CD/DVD disks

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Mon Oct 23 15:52:28 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-23 at 09:17 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 23/10/06, Carroll Grigsby <cgrigs at earthlink.net> wrote:
> > At some point in time it was reported that the inks commonly used in
> > marking pens contained solvents that could degrade the disk material
> > over time, which led the Sharpie people to market a special CD/DVD
> > marker for the purpose. Yeah, I bought one.
>
> I'm not contradictining you, but recently I had a disk that was
> scratched on the label side and would not read. I could literally see
> through the scratch. I took a Black marker -Artline 70 - and coloured
> over the scratch. Lo and behold- I could read the disc.

While that *may* work, I would guess that the scratch was outside the
written data area on the disk and all you did was tell the drive that
the unwritten portion of the disk was _not damaged_.  A scratch in the
data area of the disk would certainly have resulted in damaged data
tracks and corrupt data (that may or may not have been correctable). The
severity (width) of the scratch would also have been a factor.