How does Firefox 2 get added?

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Tue Oct 24 01:05:00 UTC 2006

Joe Smith wrote:
> Matthew Miller wrote:
>> In short, there's no compelling reason to go to Firefox 2.0, and
>> Fedora will
>> probably skip it.
>>
>> Having gone ahead and installed Christopher Aillon's test packages on my
>> devel-tree machine, this seems like a really good decision to me.
>
> He mentions technical reasons to avoid it, but I can't entirely follow
> the discussion.
>
> Can anyone explain succinctly why my FC5 can process a dozen updates a
> week, including kernel updates, but this one is "just too much trouble"?

Fedora version of Firefox has pango related patches which enable better
I18N support that would be need to be updated,tested and vetted through
Mozilla for example. The decision of doing a major update like this is
generally left to the software developer and maintainer of the package
and obviously he doesnt believe that the current version is worth the
effort to provide as a update in this case. Experimental versions have
been posted to fedora-devel list. If users really want it, they can use
that.

Rahul