problem with vpn

Tod Merley todbot88 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 24 18:20:57 UTC 2006

On 10/24/06, Eric Tanguy <eric.tanguy at univ-nantes.fr> wrote:
> I'm not sure this problem is related to fedora but ...
> I use a vpn connection to connect from home to my university. This
> connection uses a java software client.
> the connection is established so i try to make a nslookup something and
> the system answers well. I retry the same nslookup command 1 minute
> later and the system answer connection timeout.
> I can't understand where the problem come from. The connection seems to
> be established for a very quick time and after that all is down.
> The same connection worked fine few weeks before so maybe it's related
> to an update ?
> If i reboot the same machine on winxp the vpn connection works like a
> charm ...
> Someone could point to me in a direction ?
> Thanks
>
> Eric
>

> --

Hi Eric Tanguy!

I am a bit confused.  Are you running nslookup on your local machine
or on the machine you have a VPN connection to?

I would be suspicious that a firewall setting prevents a needed
service?  Kind of a long shot guess.

This might be a good time to get into using a protocol analyzer:

http://www.ethereal.com/

Note you can use it with Windows as well so you could do an "A" - "B"
comparison.

I have run into nameservers which improperly respond to IPv6 DNS
queries.  Basically they based their firmware on a faulty MS provided
development kit.  New firmware is one cure, eliminating the faulty
nameserver from the list in /etc/resolve.conf another.

Good hunting!

Tod