Fedora on IBM ThinkPad T60p ?

Charlie McVeigh cmcveigh at adelphia.net
Tue Oct 24 20:56:05 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-10-24 at 14:24 -0600, Reg Clemens wrote:
> I seem to recall that at one time there was a problem in putting Fedora
> on IBM ThinkPad s.
>
> I currently have two IBM ThinkPad T60p laptops, and want to replace Windows
> on one with Fedora, and split the disk (dual boot) the other with Fedora.
>
> Am I going to have problems, or have those problems been fixed?

I have had absolutely no problems running FC3/4/5 on my T42 Thinkpad
(2378-FZU is my flavor if you want to be exact).  I learned a great deal
about any subtle nuances by reviewing the following sites:

www.thinkwiki.org
www.linux-on-laptops.com/ibm.html on this site you will see several
links where folks have FC5 running on their T60 Thinkpads.

I had to append the following to the kernel line in
my /boot/grub/grub.conf file:
pci=noacpi acpi_sleep=s3_bios

You will need to create scripts in the /etc/acpi/events directory to
properly react to sleep/suspend/lid open/lid close events.  You will see
this documented on the linux-on-laptops site.  Just look at the
installation instructions for FC4/5 for some of the T40/41/42's

With just a little bit of digging you will find everything that you need
on these two sites.  If you have any other questions, just ask.

Charlie