digital camera Q

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 10:59:26 UTC 2006

On 25/10/06, Edward Dekkers <edward at tripled.iinet.net.au> wrote:
> I was born in Holland, where EVERYTHING is metric. I moved to Australia
> in 1983.
>
> Australia is supposedly a metric country as well right?
>
> Well, I had to learn feet and inches to measure people's height and
> wooden planks (the old 2 by 4), acres to measure land area, also pints
> and midis to measure my drinks, and pounds and ounces to measure my
> newborn child a month ago.
>
> How strange is that?
>
> The only thing that really gets me is that to me, metric seems so
> logical. 10 millimetres to a centimetre, 100 centimetres to a metre,
> 1000 metres to a kilometre etc.
>
> 12 inches is a foot
> 16 ounces is a pound
>
> ???
>
> AND the imperial gallon seems to be different to the US Gallon as far as
> I understand.
>
> I don't even want to know how many feet to a yard (it must be less than
> three and a bit feet coz that's roughly a metre).
>
> Can you guys get any more confusing???
>
> I seriously hope metric comes in strong. I know for the ones in the know
> it's hard to change, but logically speaking metric makes so much more
> sense. Celsius 0 degrees is freezing point of water, 100 degrees is
> boiling point of water.
>
> Where is the Fahrenheit or Kelvin logic?

Kelvin uses the same 'length" of a degree as celcius, with absolute
zero as to 0. This makes sense, especially if you need to do
calculations on the volumes and pressures of gases.

> I guess it's just hard for people to let go of something they know.
>
> Regards,
> Ed.
>
> P.S. Don't even get me started on the US having the month then day then
> year for displaying dates. I don't get that either but caused quite a
> bit of confusion when we were over there.

You mean that they don't have 31 months, with 12 days in each?!?

Dotan Cohen

http://dotancohen.com/
http://technology-sleuth.com/