Re: FC 5 > FC6 via YUM update

On 10/25/06, Joe Klemmer <klemmerj webtrek com> wrote:
Lonni J Friedman wrote:

>> I will be doing it, too.  My laptop's CD drive is all FUBAR so it's
>> pretty much the only option available.  I'm going to wait a while
>> for the servers to start catching their breath, though.
>
> That's not really true.  You could still perform the upgrade with
> anaconda via the network/internet.

        I thought that you need some kind of bootdisk to run anaconda.  Can you
run an anaconda upgrade from a running FC5 system?  Also, since doing an
upgrade via yum or net both go over the 'Net, is there a significant
difference between them?

You do need some kind of bootable mechanism to run the anaconda
installer, however it doesn't have to be a CD.  USB key, PXEboot, etc
all work fine.  The difference is that using anaconda is a 'supported'
method for upgrading whereas yum is not.

L. Friedman                                    netllama gmail com
LlamaLand                       http://netllama.linux-sxs.org