Can't boot kernel-2.6.18-1.2200.fc5

Richard England rengland at europa.com
Wed Oct 25 15:44:32 UTC 2006

Mel wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-10-23 at 10:45 -0400, Tony Nelson wrote:
>
> >..... he said he CAN boot to the kernel-2.6.17-1.2187_FC5 with no
> >problem.
>
> > hardly think this is hardware or filesystem related except in
> >interaction with the newer kernel.
>
> Yes, I can boot the 2187 kernel OK. It is only the 2200 kernel that is
> failing.
>
> Thanks to all who are offering me advice / helping me. It will take me
> some time to digest and try all your suggestions.
>
> In the mean time, I recorded the screen info by hand. I used a video
> camera and played it back. Sorry, I don't know another way to get this
> info at this time. Here is the final screen. Before this there is a
> table of appears to be IRQ assignments.
>
> I think I screwed up the thread on this. I copied your replies to a
> folder so I could save them but can't seem to reply to them in the
> same thread.
>
> Here is the final info on the screen:
>
> Call Trace:
>
> [<.....>] acpi_hw_register_read .......
> [<.....>] quirk_via_abnormal_poweroff ......
> [<.....>] pci_fixup_device ......
> [<.....>] pci_init ........
> [<.....>] init ........
> [<.....>] kernel_thread_helper ......
> DWARF2 unwinder stuck at kernel_thread_helper

> EIP: [<.....>]  acpi_hw_low_level_read ...........
>
> <0>Kernel panic – not syncing: Attenpted to kill imit

I have just upgraded to kernel 2200 and have encountered what I believe
is the same issue.   Quick google search only seemed to turn up this
thread, which surprised me a bit since my machine seemed to be pretty
generic in the past.

Haven't had time to investigate further but I will.

I just wanted to let you know, Mel, that you are not the only person
seeing this.

--
--R