Question regarding the torrent for FC6

Michael Wiktowy michael.wiktowy at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 19:07:06 UTC 2006

On 10/25/06, Anne Wilson <cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

> On Wednesday 25 October 2006 19:46, tom wrote:
> > I've been wget/ftp/http'ing my cds of fedora in the past, so I thought
> I'd
> > try using bittorrent via a daughter's cable connection and mac. Going
> for
> > the Zod-binary-i386, at 49 MB into the download I'm seeing download
> rates
> > bouncing between 0.4K/s and perhaps 10k/s. Somehow those figures don't
> > seem right to me. The upload rate is running 7-9K/s, so it isn't because
> > I'm not sharing.
> >
> > Any clues as to what to check??
>
> Ports open on the firewall?  6881-6899 IIRC.
>
> Anne

Some ISPs have started to throttle bittorrent traffic also. Maybe you are
unlucky enough to have an ISP that does this. Some step that you can take to
work around this are: switch to a client that supports encryption and switch
to a non-standard port (standard is 6881 like Anne mentioned). Port not only
open but also forwarded to your desktop is also helpful.

/Mike