digital camera Q

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Wed Oct 25 20:32:51 UTC 2006

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Wednesday 25 October 2006 05:07, Edward Dekkers wrote:
>
>>The only thing that really gets me is that to me, metric seems so
>>logical. 10 millimetres to a centimetre, 100 centimetres to a metre,
>>1000 metres to a kilometre etc.
>>

> Precisely - with 10 digits on each hand and foot, what else should we use? :-)
>

>>12 inches is a foot
>>16 ounces is a pound
>>
>>???
>>

> Oh, we can do much better than that, if you look at the whole caboodle of
> historic weights and measures.
>

>>AND the imperial gallon seems to be different to the US Gallon as far as
>>I understand.
>>

> Yup.

16 or 20 ounces to a pint, depending on where you are.  Of course the
ounces are different.  I have yet to see a litre be different than a litre.

>>I don't even want to know how many feet to a yard (it must be less than
>>three and a bit feet coz that's roughly a metre).
>>

> That's easy - just 3 feet to the yard.

But my yard is bigger than three feet.  My yard is about 17M by 15M.
And my feet are bigger than a foot. Or is it my foot is bigger than a foot?

>>P.S. Don't even get me started on the US having the month then day then
>>year for displaying dates. I don't get that either but caused quite a
>>bit of confusion when we were over there.
>

> Until you want to sort by date order, then year, month, day makes sense.
>
> Anne

But Year, Month and Day are an ISO standard.  And we all follow
standards, oh well all but Microsoft.  :)

Couldn't resist.
--
Robin Laing