Help: Machine says it's running hot

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 26 03:18:43 UTC 2006

Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> On 10/25/06, Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>

>> I already suggested these to him, and he seems to have ignored
>> me. /etc/sensors.conf has some really nice commentary.
>>
>> Mike
>>

> Sorry, I did take your advice at the time, and went through the
> massive file that is /etc/sensors.conf. When I asked the question the
> second time, I was hoping for a link to a useful HOWTO, I already know
> how to access most of the man pages.

Fair enough. I did say "seems".

I thought the commentary in sensors.conf was pretty explanatory.
I am myself not an expert on this matter, and run with sensors
turned off. It seems pretty useless to me. Unless you have a
machine which is improperly designed, or which works in a
harsh environment, then it will run cool enough, and with
proper voltages etc. I've worked in telephony where such
kinds of sensors and alarms are important. A desktop or even
a server in other circumstances (normally accessible, and
not in a harsh environment, and not performing critical functions)
with such sensors seems like a really overelaborate design.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.