OT: Looking for wood-grain patterns

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 26 07:49:55 UTC 2006

Kam Leo wrote:
> On 10/25/06, Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> Kam Leo wrote:
>> >
>> > Have you tried purchasing sheets or rolls of veneer that match the faux
>> > wood.
>>
>> Veneer is wood. These people want like original materials. This
>> means paper with wood grain printed on it, then stained to look
>> like wood.

[snip]

> My understanding of your post was that you are looking for large wood
> grain pattern(s). My solution is for you to purchase veneer to get the
> pattern(s). (It's about the only way you are going to get a large
> pattern of an exotic wood.) You take a photograph of the flattened
> veneer under diffused light, use gimp or other image processing
> software to match the color, and send the file to a press to have the
> pattern printed on appropriate stock.

Ah, I misunderstood. Thanks for the clarification.

> What you are trying to do is not new. Pros do this type of work all
> the time using Macs or PCs and expensive software.

Yes, expensive, ok.

> If you are really serious get color calibration hardware and software
> so the resultant product meets your expectations.

Well, you know, the sets that used this technique were the cheapos
in the first place! They are worth $80 to maybe $200 USD today,
in good (not refinished, but good original finish) and repaired
condition.

Good idea if it would work. I know nothing about image manipulation.
The few times I've tried something like that the results were
dark smears. But I'll pass this along to my buddy. It's a "labor
of love" anyway, I suspect.

Thanks very much for the response.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.