Memory staying in cached status -- Possible Memory Leak

Dave Mitchell davem at iabyn.com
Thu Oct 26 10:15:57 UTC 2006

On Thu, Oct 26, 2006 at 11:05:06AM +0100, Scott van Looy wrote:
> Somebody told me yesterday that the "free" column should be kept as close
> to 0 as possible by the linux kernel. Is this true? Coz mine ain't...

On reboot, [Mem: free] and [-/+ buffers/cache: free] will both be large.
As apps claim memory, both will fall. As apps access files and more data
becomes cached, [Mem: free] falls. If the apps don't do much disk I/O,
then it wont reach near zero. If and when it reaches near zero, it will
remain that way until reboot.

--
The optimist believes that he lives in the best of all possible worlds.
As does the pessimist.