OT: the rm bug hit me again

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Thu Oct 26 16:12:21 UTC 2006

Mike McCarty wrote:
> Arthur Pemberton wrote:
>
>> On 10/25/06, Robin Laing <Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca> wrote:
>>
>>> Graphical file manager?  That isn't the *nix way of doing things.  :)
>>>
>>> And the -f in the rm command it to stop the "Confirm delete?" questions.
>>>    My rm is set to confirm all deletes using alias.
>>>
>>> --
>>

>> How exactly did you do this? I got bit by this bug once in my Linux
>> life, would prefer it never happens again.
>>

> alias rm='rm -i'
>
> Mike

And put it in your .bashrc file so it is there all the time.
This is what I have in mine.  I use the --backup=t command to make
copies of files instead of overwriting the files.  This way I don't
accidently destroy a file when one is a duplicate name of another.

~/.bashrc~:alias rm='rm -i'
~/.bashrc~:alias cp='cp -i --backup=t'
~/.bashrc~:alias mv='mv -i --backup=t'
~/.bashrc~:alias mp='mplayer'

Of course if you use the -f in with the rm command, you are toasted
anyways as the interactive response is overridden.

--
Robin Laing