Easy flashplayer/mozilla question

Dean S. Messing deanm at sharplabs.com
Thu Oct 26 18:37:20 UTC 2006

On my FC5 system, libflashplayer.so sits in /usr/lib/flash-plugin.

There's a symlink to it from /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
and flash shows up in the plug-ins list w/in mozilla.

However, if I rename

/usr/lib/flash-plugin/libflashplayer.so

/usr/lib/flash-plugin/libflashplayer.so_fp7.0.68

and then create a symlink to it in the /usr/lib/flash-plugin directory:

libflashplayer.so -> libflashplayer.so_fp7.0.68

and restart mozilla, it no longer sees the flash player plugin.

This seems strange since mozilla is already going through one symlink
(from its own directory to /usr/lib/flash-plugin/libflashplayer.so)
so why does a second link break flash?  Creating a hard link works fine.

I'm sure this is something basic, but I'm not seeing it.

Dean

P.S.

Yes, I restarting mozilla each time, and
yes, I deleted ~/.mozilla/pluginreg.dat each time
        (I have mozplugger installed), and
yes, I checked to make sure I can see the .so executable from the
        link in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins.

½:-)