[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]

Re: yum upgrade FC5->FC6 issues




-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: yum upgrade FC5->FC6 issues
From: Jim Cornette <fc-cornette insight rr com>
To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list redhat com>
Date: 10/26/2006 03:10 PM

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
I ran into this problem with libsepol also today. I removed the db entry using rpm --justdb --nodeps for libsepol. After removing the database entry, I ran yum install libsepol which pulled in the glibc libraries. Afterwards, yum -y update took care of the rest. (of course I ran from a terminal because the GUI is gonna get killed at some point during the upgrade. It did, But I was at the login screen, so it did not effect me being in runlevel 5) Using a terminal window in the GUI will leave you with about 1000 or so multiple entries in the database. Removing mozilla with yum was also needed on the system which took out yelp and a few other packages which needed mozilla previously. You can add yelp back post upgrade without a lot of trouble.

Previously I thought of yum erase libsepol but it wanted to remove quite a few packages. I decided to do the above instead. I did not have errors when removing VFlib2 with rpm. It is not on FC6, so it will not reinstall. The other two errors listed did not effect my system.

Expect for this to take some time to complete. It took me about 3 hours on guess-timation I copied the DVD rpms over to the hard drive core repository, downloaded the updates and testing repos to their local repositories before upgrading. This was a one shot deal, no re-upgrading needed.


Jim



I was really trying hard not to muck with the integrity of the rpm database. I always assume that if I have been a good boy and not mucked with it it knows more than I do.

So, I started looking for why libsepol-devel kept reappearing. I ran the "yum upgrade" again and captured the output so I could look at it. (i.e. yum upgrade | tee upgrade.log). I found that libselinux-devel was calling for it. I then yum removed libselinux-devel and all of the problems went away.

I will muck with the repository when I have to but it is only after a lot of research and determining that it is my only choice.
begin:vcard
fn:Paul Lemmons
n:Lemmons;Paul
org:Tucson Medical Center;Information Services
adr:;;5301 E. Grant Road;Tucson;AZ;85712;USA
email;internet:paul lemmons tmcaz com
title:Lead Systems Software Engineer
tel;work:520-324-1034
tel;fax:520-324-1206
tel;pager:paullem vtext com
tel;home:520-722-2642
tel;cell:520-603-7392
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://www.tmcaz.com
version:2.1
end:vcard

Attachment: smime.p7s
Description: S/MIME Cryptographic Signature


[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]