are you using Fedora in a production environment?

Ian Chapman packages at amiga-hardware.com
Thu Oct 26 23:03:26 UTC 2006

Max Spevack wrote:

> If you are, I want to hear all about it.  I'm trying to gather data
> for some Fedora myth-busting exercises, and also to inform some of
> our decision making for Fedora 7.

I dunno if this counts, but we use Fedora at the University of Teesside
on approximately 120 workstations. They are primarily used for animation
and modelling with Softimage XSI and Maya and to a much lesser degree,
Blender. In addition they double up as a render farm for use with Qube!,
Mental Ray and shortly Pixar's Renderman. The machines are also used for
other general purpose activities such as programming, web development etc.

> What's your setup like?

An example workstation spec is FC5, 4GB RAM, nvidia 7950 (512MB), dual
core or dual CPU Xeons @ 3.2 - 3.6Ghz and dual 19" TFTs. The servers
primarily run RHEL for all sorts of services including providing 2TB of
storage for the workstations.

> What is it about Fedora that made you choose to use it, as opposed to
> something else?

Well we've primarily been a 'Redhat' shop since we migrated from SunOS
and IRIX many years ago so Fedora seemed a natural choice for the desktop.

--
Ian Chapman.