Re: ata failed messages - kernel 2.6.18-1.2200.fc5

Deron Meranda wrote:
On 10/17/06, Kam Leo <kam leo gmail com> wrote:
On 10/17/06, Alan J. Gagne <alan gagne comcast net> wrote:
> Receiving failure messages during boot for ata1 and ata2.
> Machine boots and seems to be running ok.
>
> ata1: port is slow to respond, please be patient
> ata1: port failed to respond (30 secs)

I too am seeing the exact same thing.  I had just installed the new
2.6.18-1.2200.fc5smp kernel in preparation to get my FC5 box
completely up to date before upgrading to FC6.  I had previously
been running with 2.6.17-1.2187_FC5smp and had not seen
this error.  This error on reboot appears to only happen with this
new 2200 kernel, and it happens even with full power down and
power up, and is repeatable.

Despite having to wait 30 seconds or so for these errors to time
out, the system fully boots with all devices appearing to be fully
operational.

My system is a Dell Optiplex Gx270.
IDE0 has one drive,
  hda: Maxtor 6Y080L0
IDE1 has two drives
  hdc: HL-DT-STDVD-ROM GDR8162B
  hdd: SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-252S

I saw this error on a system after installing FC6 on a Dell Optiplex gx280, the BIOS rev is A08. It has an IDE hard drive and a DVD burner. I am not at it right now and it is used for XP. The install was just to see if it would take. I saw the same error you mention and things seemed to be working properly, though I was not in the installation that long.

I have another system, a Dell Optiplex gx270 with two SATA drives and no IDE drives. It also has a CDROM reader and a DVD+R recorder. I did not see this error on the machine. I was running the 2.6.18-1.2200.fc5smp kernel. The error must be related to the dell controller and IDE drives on my guess.

Jim

--
	"How many people work here?"
	"Oh, about half."