FC6

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Fri Oct 27 02:04:35 UTC 2006

Scott van Looy wrote:

>>> Yes, I know. I was stating that yum *didn't* upgrade my kernel, possibly
>>> because of this. I was left with the kernel-smp from fc5 still
>>> installed and running and yum telling me there were no more
>>> updates. I had to find a mirror, download the correct kernel RPM
>>> and install it using RPM

>> I am not sure I follow what you are saying.
>
> I was upgrading an x86_64 machine at the time...I actually meant i386 -
> yum didn't upgrade my fc5 smp kernel to a fc6 kernel when going from fc5
> to fc6
>

>> I run a dual core athlon and have been running FC5 x86_64 since FC5 came
>> out.
>> I have _never_ seen a 64 bit smp kernel in FC5.  Yes, they had an smp
>> kernel for the i686 kernel initially, but that was also removed long
>> ago.

I had a kernel-smp for the whole time I ran FC5. Version 2 was compiled
October 16th. Rawhide dropped the smp version once they fixed the
problem with cpuspeed for Athlon processors. At least that is when I
noticed no more kernel-smp variations.

>> If you had not updated fully and still had the smp kernel installed/in
>> use,  it is possible that the upgrade might fail that way.  It should
>> not have failed if you had the FC5 installation fully updated before you
>> started the upgrade.

I do not know if FC5 installed both the kernel and kernel-smp
variations. I believe it installed one or the other version. My only smp
capable system was created in 2004 and continually upgraded, leaving
both variations in the upgrade path.
If there was one or the other kernel variant installed, those going the
yum upgrade route ought to install the regular kernel before yum upgrading.

Jim

--
bug, n:
	A son of a glitch.