AMD Turion™ 64 Mobile or "Regular" x86 Laptop

Brad Bonkoski bbonkoski at mediaguide.com
Fri Oct 27 16:00:15 UTC 2006

Joe Klemmer wrote:
> 	Ok, this is semi-topical but still within the range of list posting.
>
> 	I am in a situation where I need to buy a laptop, like, today.  My
> mother's system just died and she wants a new one ASAP.  I have been
> pricing things and found that I can get some good prices on AMD Turion™
> 64 systems.  I am, however, unsure if it would be worth it to get a
> 64-bit processor or get a regular x86 one.  The key is will she be able
> to run all the software I currently have setup for her?  I know FC5/FC6
> will be happy but there's some third party apps that need to be run.
>
> 	Any info or opinions is greatly welcome.

Without knowing the 3rd party applications, it is hard to tell.
Although, most 64-bit machines run better or as well in 32 bit emulation
as their true 32-bit counterparts...
So, IMHO, might as well look to the future and get the 64-bit machine,
regardless of if you use it in 64 bit mode now or later...