YP Question

Brian D. McGrew brian at visionpro.com
Fri Oct 27 16:55:58 UTC 2006

I'm setting up a slave yp server.  The master server is Solaris 8 on
Sparc hardware and the slave is FC3 on a Dell 1400.  The master has been
working fine for years.

I added the slave to the master's /etc/hosts and added the master to the
slave's /etc/hosts and did a /usr/lib/yp/ypinit -s master_name on the
slave and all transferred well but I got a "Trying ypxfrd ... not
running" message on the new slave, when if fact ypxfrd is running.

All seems to be working fine and the slave is answering request but that
ypxfrd bothers me and now, if I do a 'ypcat ypservers' it returns to
blank lines, whereas before it would return the name of the single yp
master server.

Any ideas on this one?

TIA,

:b!