Re: AMD Turion™ 64 Mobile or "Regular" x86 Laptop

On Fri, 27 Oct 2006, Joe Klemmer wrote:

	Ok, this is semi-topical but still within the range of list posting.

	I am in a situation where I need to buy a laptop, like, today.  My
mother's system just died and she wants a new one ASAP.  I have been
pricing things and found that I can get some good prices on AMD Turion?
64 systems.  I am, however, unsure if it would be worth it to get a
64-bit processor or get a regular x86 one.  The key is will she be able
to run all the software I currently have setup for her?  I know FC5/FC6
will be happy but there's some third party apps that need to be run.

	Any info or opinions is greatly welcome.

What apps?

What OS?

64-bit Windows is a waste of time.  It is not stable.

64-bit Linux works well. (Except for suspend. I don't know of anyone who has gotten 64-bit suspend to work right.)

You can run 32-bit apps on a 64-bit processor. It just depends on your host OS requirements.

--
Gorgon minion:    "Is the Source dangerous?"
Gorgon Commander: "Only if it is on your side."