Paul Smith phhs80 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 27 19:35:37 UTC 2006

On 10/27/06, Pedro Fernandes Macedo <webmaster at margo.bijoux.nom.br> wrote:
> > Thanks, Lonni. Something really funny happens now: it boots, but it
> > goes to the FC4 partition instead of going to the FC6 one. Grub
> > activates the partition of FC6 and then mysteriously goes booting the
> > FC4 partition. What magic is playing on my computer?
>
> Check the labels. Probably grub is using the wrong labels to mount the
> root filesystem (and other filesystems you may have). One way to test is
> editing the grub entry at boot time (press any key when the grub menu
> appears, choose the FC6 entry and press "a" to edit the kernel
> parameters) and replacing root=LABEL=/ by root=/dev/hdaX , so it
> explicitly points to the device where the FC6 filesystem resides. This
> way , there's no chance the FC4 partition will be mounted by mistake.

Excellent guess, Pedro! However, there is still a problem to overcome:
I cannot boot in the FC6 partition:

«ERROR opening /dev/console: No such file or directory

WARNING: can't access (null)

exec of init ((null)) failed!!!: Bad address

kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!»

Any ideas?

Paul